Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How to become friends with someone who hardly speaks your language?

In my class at school, we have a french exchange student. She speaks almost no english. She is close friends with one girl in my class only because she is currently living with her. I want to becaome friends with this girl, but even though I Can talk to her (I speak french like her) I feel like we have nothing to talk about. So whenever i say hi to her, then she says hi back and then it's just like an awkward silence untill one of us says something else. What should we talk about? I live in Canada and she lives in France. I have no idea what to say!!!How to become friends with someone who hardly speaks your language?
Ask her what she got up to during the day, talk about hobbies, school life, your native countries etc, maybe even just the WEATHER .. i know its hard, i find myself trying to make convo alot of times with effortless people and it sucks so bad argh but there you go, make a few attempts, if shes the quiet type who doesnt throw questions back and just sits back on what you've asked then sack the effort, a hi will suffice!How to become friends with someone who hardly speaks your language?
Do you REALLY want to be friend's with this person that badly? Usually, went I talk to my vietnamese and korean friends, I put on accents. Not to make fun of them, but to help them understand what I'm saying. Different languages pronounce words differently. I'm good at accents btw, so if you know you can't do it, then don't.
just tell that person that you do not speak their type of language i am very very very sure that they will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment